When you enter a supermarket to go grocery shopping, likely the last thing that you suspect is that you will be put at risk of an accident. However, supermarket accidents occur more often than you may think in the state of Maryland. Continue reading to learn why they occur and how one of the experienced Howard County supermarket accident attorneys at Lloyd J. Eisenberg & Associates can help you in the event that you are involved in one.
Why do supermarket accidents commonly occur in the state of Maryland?
Sometimes, there are potential safety hazards present in supermarkets that can lead to an accident. Such hazards are present because supermarket staff and management fail to clear them. The following are incidents that commonly cause supermarket accidents in the state of Maryland:
- Failure to clean up spilled liquids in aisles or unattended restrooms.
- Failure to place floor mats in the necessary areas.
- Failure to fix unstable product displays.
- Failure to fix defective automatic doors.
- Failure to prevent loose products from falling.
- Failure to remove spoiled or expired food from shelves.
- Failure to maintain parking lot conditions (i.e., loose debris, snow, ice, potholes, etc).
How do I recover damages after my supermarket accident?
If you were a shopper that was wrongfully injured in a supermarket accident due to the negligence of the staff and management, then you must seek justice and financial compensation via a personal injury claim. To set yourself up for a successful claim, you must follow the below steps so that you may collect the proper evidence:
- Call the police.
- Evidence: a copy of the official police report.
- Alert the store manager:
- Evidence: a copy of the store incident report.
- Capture the scene of the accident, your injuries, your damages, and the present safety hazards.
- Evidence: photos and videos.
- Collect the contact information of present witnesses.
- Evidence: witness testimonies.
- Seek medical treatment.
- Evidence: medical documentation concerning your injuries and their extent.
- Hire one of the skilled Howard County slip and fall accident attorneys.
- Evidence: surveillance camera footage of your accident occurring.
What is the statute of limitations for a slip and fall accident claim?
Like every other state, Maryland has a deadline by which you can file a slip and fall accident claim. This deadline, otherwise known as the statute of limitations, is typically three years from the date of your accident. If you do not bring your case forward within this timeframe, then you may be ultimately barred from a lawsuit. Evidently, this means that you will permanently miss out on your opportunity to hold the negligent party accountable and obtain the financial compensation you require to heal.
For this reason, we recommend that you do not wait too long to contact a seasoned Howard County personal injury attorney. We await your phone call.