Some people love to go grocery shopping. Others find it to be an onerous chore. Regardless, when most people visit the supermarket, they do not expect to get injured. Unfortunately, the supermarket can be more dangerous than it may appear. In fact, supermarket accidents occur often and can lead to serious injury. Read on to learn more about supermarket accidents and what to do in the event that an injury occurs.
How Are Supermarket Accidents Caused?
With so many people and products, accidents can occur easily. The most common reasons accidents occur include:
- Spilled liquid
- Loose produce
- Parking lot conditions
- Outdoor elements
- Falling products
- Debris on the floor
- Other unattended hazards
- Snow or ice
What do I do if I am Involved in an Accident?
If you are involved in a supermarket accident, there are some steps you will want to take that may help you recover compensation down the line:
- Seek medical attention. Even if you do not feel like you have been seriously injured, it is possible to sustain an injury without realizing it. Once at the hospital, make sure to ask your doctor for a copy of any relevant medical documents.
- Make sure to take photos and videos of the hazardous conditions that caused your accident. For example, if you slipped on a spill, make sure to get a photo before it is cleaned up.
- Gather the contact information of any bystanders. Someone who saw the accident occur may be able to provide witness statements down the line.
- Notify the manager. Before leaving the supermarket, make sure the manager is aware that an accident occurred and that he or she files an accident report. If possible, obtain a copy of this report.
- File your claim on time. In Maryland, you will generally have three years to file a personal injury claim. If you fail to file in time, you will most likely lose your opportunity to recover the compensation you deserve.
- Contact a skilled personal injury attorney. Personal injury cases can be difficult as you will need to prove that some form of negligence occurred to cause the accident. An experienced attorney may be able to gather further evidence, such as security camera footage.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a supermarket accident, contact our firm to speak with a dedicated personal injury attorney today.
Contact our Firm
If you or a family member have been injured in a car accident, contact Lloyd J. Eisenberg & Associates today.