What Happens if a Doctor Fails to Refer a Patient to a Specialist?

If your doctor has noticed something that was wrong in a visit that was outside of their realm of expertise, but failed to refer you to a specialist, you may have a valid claim. To learn more about this process, continue reading and contact our experienced firm.

When a doctor cannot provide their patient with the necessary knowledge or care to assist them, doctors are legally bound to refer their patients to specialists. If you have been directly harmed by your doctor’s failure to refer you to a specialist, you may qualify to recover compensation by filing a medical malpractice claim.

To discover more about this, continue reading and contact our Howard County medical malpractice attorneys.

How can I take legal action against a doctor for failing to refer me to a specialist?

If your doctor has acted negligently, resulting in your direct harm, the first step to take is to retain the services of an experienced personal injury attorney. Your attorney will gather and present evidence to support your claim and satisfy the burden of proof required to recover the compensation you deserve.

With the assistance of your attorney, you will work to establish that you were the doctor’s patient and that they owed you a duty of care. You and your attorney will work to prove that your doctor diverted from the standard line of treatment, which breached the duty of care they owed you, resulting in your damages.

This process may be complicated and difficult. Doctors will typically hire legal counsel that will fight aggressively to combat your claim. Their career could be at risk. This is why you require the assistance of a passionate and dedicated law firm that has worked with countless clients like yourself. Our legal team is prepared to fight for your rights.

What is the statute of limitations for personal injury claims in Maryland?

The statute of limitations for victims of medical malpractice is generally five years. You will have five years from the date of your injury or three years from the date of the discovery of your injury to take legal action, whichever comes first.

It is best to take legal action as soon as possible. Failure to file your claim within this timeframe may result in you being barred from suing. To avoid this and to get started as soon as possible, give our firm a call today. We are prepared to fight for your right to compensation.

Contact Our Howard County, Maryland Firm

If you or a family member has sustained serious injuries in an accident caused by another person’s negligence, contact Lloyd J. Eisenberg & Associates today. We are here to provide you with the steady and effective legal guidance you deserve.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts