Riding bicycles is popular throughout the state of Maryland. However, when a bicycle is involved in an accident with a motor vehicle, the injuries and damages can be serious. Cyclists are not given the same protections as motor vehicle drivers, so these injuries and damages may have a long-lasting impact on their life. Read on if you have been made a victim of a bicycle accident and learn how one of the seasoned Howard County bicycle accident attorneys at Lloyd J. Eisenberg & Associates can help you explore your legal options.
Why may a bicycle accident occur in the state of Maryland?
Sometimes, a bicycle accident will occur due to elements outside any party’s control, such as inclement weather or uneven pavement. However, more commonly, it will occur due to the negligence of a motor vehicle driver. Examples of such scenarios are as follows:
- Driving recklessly, such as speeding, failing to yield, making an illegal U-turn, etc.
- Driving while under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- Driving while distracted by electronic devices.
- Driving while drowsy or fatigued.
- The lack of a cycling lane.
What steps should I take after a bicycle accident in Maryland?
Before filing your bicycle accident claim, you must satisfy the burden of proof. This means that you need to collect supporting evidence that your injuries and damages are a direct result of a motor vehicle driver’s negligence. So, it is in your best interest to follow the below steps:
- Alert the authorities: an officer will dispatch an ambulance on your behalf and conduct an official police report. Request a copy of this report.
- Capture the scene: take photos and videos of the scene (i.e., your injuries, damages, and any hazards that contributed to your accident).
- Collect contact information: ask for the motor vehicle driver’s name, number, email address, insurance company, insurance policy number, etc. Request the same for witnesses. Also, request that witnesses provide testimony.
- Seek medical treatment: as soon as medical attention arrives at the scene, get treated. Also, schedule follow-up appointments. Request copies of medical bills and other medical documentation that overview the date, time, and seriousness of your injuries.
- Hire an attorney: employ one of the competent Howard County auto accident attorneys immediately. Request that we help you in collecting surveillance camera footage and any additional evidence necessary.
What is the statute of limitations for a bicycle accident claim in Maryland?
The sooner you bring forward your bicycle accident claim, the better. This is because Maryland’s statute of limitations for such personal injury claims is around three years from the date of your accident. Failure to file your claim within this period may result in you being permanently barred from taking legal action.
Contact Our Howard County, Maryland Firm
If you or a family member has sustained severe injuries in an accident caused by another person’s negligence, contact Lloyd J. Eisenberg & Associates today.