Traffic deaths are on the rise. In fact, according to the National Safety Council (NSC), the increase in the rate of 2020 motor vehicle deaths in the U.S. was the largest since 1924. The NSC estimates that 42,060 people have died in U.S. car accidents in 2020. As a result, it is important to know what to do in the event that an accident occurs. Read on to learn more about car accidents in Maryland.
What are the Most Common Causes of Car Accidents?
Car accidents may occur for any number of reasons. Sometimes, an accident is caused by faulty car parts, inclement weather, or hazardous road conditions. But, the majority of car accidents are a result of driver negligence. Some of the most common examples of negligence include:
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Eating and driving
- Using electronic devices while driving
- Failing to yield
- Unsafe changing lanes
- Reckless driving
- Disregarding traffic directions
- Ignoring the rules of the road
What to do After an Accident
If you are involved in a car accident, there are some important steps to take:
- Call 911. The police can send an ambulance, file an accident report, and more.
- It is imperative that you seek medical attention. Even if you do not feel like you have been seriously injured, it is important to go to the hospital anyway. This will ensure that your injuries are treated by a medical professional while simultaneously providing you with proof of the origin and extent of your injuries. Be sure to ask your doctor for a copy of any relevant medical documents.
- Take photos and videos of the scene of the accident. One of the most important things you can do is document the scene. Be sure to capture any damage done to the vehicles/property involved.
- Obtain witness contacts. If anyone saw your accident occur, they may be able to corroborate your version of events.
- Contact a skilled personal injury attorney. If you are involved in a car accident, you may be entitled to recover compensation. To do so, you will need the help of a dedicated attorney who will help you fight to recover the compensation you deserve. Additionally, he or she may be able to gather further evidence, such as police reports and security footage.
If you have been injured in a car accident due to another party’s negligence, contact our firm to speak with an experienced and skilled personal injury attorney today.
Contact our Firm
If you or a family member have been injured in a personal injury accident and wish to speak with an attorney, contact Lloyd J. Eisenberg & Associates today.