Discover the role that prompt medical attention after an accident plays in a personal injury claim and how a dedicated Howard County personal injury attorney at Lloyd J. Eisenberg & Associates can navigate you through your treatment and filing processes.
How does proof of medical attention support my personal injury claim?
Receiving medical attention with urgency after an accident will solidify the proof you need for a successful personal injury claim. The following are reasons why immediate medical care will support your claim:
- Satisfying the burden of proof: for a personal injury claim, you are required to collect evidence that will back up every statement of the other party’s negligence. Medical documentation is an essential piece of evidence for this.
- Establishing causation: the longer you wait, the harder it is to prove that the accident was the direct cause of your injuries.
- Establishing seriousness: the longer you wait, the more you give the jury, judge, and the other party’s insurance company grounds to question the seriousness of your injuries.
- Maximizing your settlement offer: If you do not seek immediate aid, you may not know the full extent of your injuries, the total cost of damages, and therefore the total amount you should settle for. And if you accept a settlement that does not cover all of your medical expenses, you cannot go back and request more.
- Beating the statute of limitations: Maryland’s statute of limitations for personal injury claims is generally three years from the date of the accident. Anytime after that, you will be barred from suing. Indirectly, delaying medical assistance can delay your decision to file a claim until it is too late.
Regardless, you should receive medical care to maintain your physical health and wellness. You should not have to go through this process alone. If you need any assistance with seeking medical care or filing your claim, do not hesitate in reaching out to a seasoned Howard County personal injury attorney today.
How do I receive proper medical attention after an accident?
Below are the steps you should follow for the right medical attention that will benefit your personal injury claim:
- At the scene of the accident, call 911.
- Once at the scene, the police will call for medical attention on your behalf.
- Once at the scene, allow the medical professionals to attend to you immediately.
- After leaving the scene, go to the hospital independently to receive treatment as necessary.
- In the days, weeks, or months following the accident, go to appointments consistently to receive treatment as necessary.
- Collect any and all medical bills and documents throughout your treatment process.
Contact Our Howard County, Maryland Firm
If you or a family member has sustained serious injuries in an accident caused by another person’s negligence, contact Lloyd J. Eisenberg & Associates today. We are here to provide you with the steady and effective legal guidance you deserve.