How Do I Sue After a Distracted Driving Accident in Maryland?

Distracted driving is the leading cause of automobile accidents in the United States. Drivers who do not uphold their obligation on the road to be safe can cause life-changing injuries and sometimes even death to other parties. In the year 2017 alone, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration reported over 3,000 people died due to distracted driving. It is because of this that it is crucial to understand how important safe and alert driving is. Otherwise, those injured in distracted driving accidents may be able to pursue legal action and recover financial compensation for the damages they incurred as a result. In doing so, they should retain the services of an experienced Maryland personal injury attorney for guidance moving forward. 

What Should I do After a Car Accident?

After a car accident happens, there are several steps to take care of in order to increase your chances of having a successful claim in the future, should you choose to pursue one. This can include the following: 

  1. Call the police to document the accident and also send an ambulance.
  2. Ask the other driver for their insurance information. Be calm and polite, but never apologize, as it can be seen as an admission of fault, even if it was just being courteous.
  3. Take pictures of the scene, including any damage to your car, the other driver’s car, and property.
  4. Ask anyone who saw the accident for their contact information so that they can corroborate your claim later on.
  5. Once you are treated at a hospital, be sure to obtain all medical documentation pertaining to your injuries from the doctor. 
  6. Hire an experienced Maryland personal injury attorney who can effectively gather additional evidence that satisfies the burden of proof.

How Long do I Have to Sue? 

It is important to know that injured parties only have a certain amount of time to file a claim after an accident happens. This is put in place by the statute of limitations, a deadline by which they are required to meet. If they fail to do so, injured parties can lose their right to legal action. 

Contact our Firm

If you or someone you love was injured in a personal injury accident and wish to speak with an experienced attorney, contact Lloyd J. Eisenberg & Associates today.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts