Drunk driving accidents are among the most unfortunate, as they are entirely preventable. Everyone knows it’s unsafe to drive while intoxicated, yet many people make this mistake every single day. If you were injured because of a drunk driver, we are on your side. Read on and reach out to our experienced Howard County drunk driving accident attorneys to learn more about these accidents, whether the state of Maryland has a dram shop law, and how our legal team can help if you’ve been hurt. Here are some of the questions you may have regarding the legal process ahead:
Does Maryland have a dram shop law in place?
While many states have dram shop laws in place that allow those hurt because of drunk drivers to sue both the driver and the establishment that served the driver for damages, the state of Maryland does not. This means that you will have to recover compensation solely from the careless driver, and you should always do so with the help of a competent personal injury lawyer in your corner.
What should I do to win a personal injury claim against a drunk driver?
If you are hurt in an accident caused by a drunk driver, you may be so injured that you’re unable to do anything other than wait for emergency medical services to arrive at the scene. However, if possible, you should try to do the following:
- Call the police. When they arrive, they’ll see you get immediate medical attention, and, if they believe the other driver is intoxicated, they will typically require him or her to submit to a breath test. If the test determines the driver was, in fact, intoxicated, we will use these results to bolster your injury claim.
- If you can, you should take pictures of any damage caused by the accident.
- Ask witnesses for their contact information so they may verify your claim later on.
- Keep copies of medical documentation pertaining to your injuries.
- Hire a competent Howard County personal injury attorney who can help gather and present all additional information needed to satisfy the burden of proof in your personal injury claim.
If you have any further questions about drunk driving accidents or how our firm can help you recover your rightful compensation, simply pick up the phone and give us a call. We are here to help you in any way we can.
Contact Our Howard County, Maryland Firm
If you or a family member has sustained serious injuries in an accident caused by another person’s negligence, contact Lloyd J. Eisenberg & Associates today. We are here to provide you with the steady and effective legal guidance you deserve.