Do I Have to Sue My Friend if I’m Injured as a Passenger in His Car?

driver speeding highway

Often, when someone is involved in a car accident, it’s fairly straightforward to ascertain whether the accident was their fault or another driver’s fault. In a case where another driver is responsible for an auto accident, they most likely can be held liable in a personal injury claim. That being said, if you are someone who was injured as a passenger in your friend or relative’s car, you may be unsure of who is responsible for the accident and whether you’ll ultimately have to sue your friend for compensation, which, understandably, you’d rather not do. Please continue reading and reach out to our experienced Howard County car accident attorneys to learn more about these accidents and how we can help if you’ve been hurt as a passenger. Here are some of the questions you may have:

Will I have to sue my friend if I was injured as a passenger in his car?

To start, if you were hurt as a passenger in an accident caused by another driver (not the person driving the car you were in) you will sue the other driver, as they are to blame for the accident. However, if you were hurt as a passenger in an accident caused by your driver, you are most likely wondering whether you’ll have to sue him or her for your injuries. Of course, you don’t want to, because the person is your friend or relative, but that doesn’t change the fact that you’re injured and require compensation to cover the cost of your medical bills, lost wages, and more. Fortunately, in this case, you won’t’ be suing your friend or relative directly; you’ll instead sue their insurance company.

What should I do after a car accident?

After a car accident, it’s paramount that you do everything in your power to document the incident and how it happened. This can help you maximize your chances of winning financial compensation in the future. After a car accident, try to do the following:

  1. Call 911. The police can document the incident and send emergency medical services to the scene immediately.
  2. Take pictures of the scene of the accident, including any damage to vehicles, property, or your injuries.
  3. Ask witnesses for their contact information.
  4. Obtain the other drivers’ insurance information.
  5. Keep copies of all medical documentation pertaining to your injuries.
  6. Retain the services of a competent and experienced Howard County personal injury attorney.

If you’ve been hurt as a passenger, turn to Lloyd J. Eisenberg & Associates. We are here to help you through each phase of the claims process ahead.

Contact Our Howard County, Maryland Firm

If you or a family member has sustained serious injuries in an accident caused by another person’s negligence, contact Lloyd J. Eisenberg & Associates today. We are here to provide you with the steady and effective legal guidance you deserve.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts