Can I Recover Lost Wages in an Injury Claim?

money with gavel

If you suffer an injury after your personal injury accident, you may have to miss work to allow yourself to properly heal. But with this, you may miss out on income for days, weeks, months, or even years, depending on the severity of your situation. Rest assured, you may be able to receive financial compensation to cover these lost wages. Continue reading to learn how you can recover lost wages in your injury claim and how an experienced Howard County personal injury attorney at Lloyd J. Eisenberg & Associates can help make this possible.

How can I recover lost wages in a personal injury claim?

No matter what type of personal injury claim you are filing, you hold the responsibility of fulfilling the burden of proof. Meaning, you must provide enough evidence that points to the fact that you have been unable to return to work due to the negligence of another party in your accident. Evidence that you have lost wages includes the following:

  • Hospital bills that prove the date and time of your visit connect to the date and time of your accident.
  • Medical records that prove the seriousness of your injuries after your accident.
  • Doctor’s notes that prove the physical and occupational limitations due to your injuries.
  • A statement by your employer that proves that you have missed work due to your injuries.
  • A statement by your loved ones that proves how your injuries have affected your quality of life.

How are lost wages calculated in a personal injury claim?

After determining that you are eligible to recover your lost wages in your personal injury claim, the Maryland court will then begin calculating the amount you are to receive. They will do so by simply adding the number of days you have been absent from work, along with the number of days you anticipate to be absent from work in the future, and multiplying that by the wages or salary you would have earned during that time.

Notably, you can help the court in making this calculation by providing them with your past pay stubs, income tax returns, and/or social security earning statements that show how much you earn.

What else can I recover in a claim?

In addition to lost wages, you may be eligible to recover other economic damages. This may include, but may not be limited to, the cost of your medical treatments, your domestic services, and your property damages.

And though it may be more difficult to prove, you may also recover non-economic damages. More specifically, you may claim pain and suffering, emotional distress, and a lessened quality of life, among other things.

If you are ready to kickstart your claim, then you must retain the services of a skilled Howard County personal injury attorney. We are dedicated to getting you the maximum amount of financial compensation that you rightfully deserve. Call us today.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts