The aftermath of a car accident can be detrimental, with long-term injuries and expensive medical bills being strong possibilities. This is why you cannot stand idle, rather, you need to fight for justice. Continue on to discover what actions to take after your car accident and how one of the seasoned Howard County car accident attorneys at Lloyd J. Eisenberg & Associates can help you in filing a strong personal injury claim.
What steps should I take after enduring a car accident injury?
Personal injury cases, now specifically referring to car accident injury cases, require you to satisfy the burden of proof. This means that you must provide enough evidence to establish the negligence of the other driver. With that being said, reference the following steps in the unfortunate event that you find yourself in a car accident:
- Call 911: The law enforcement officer will be able to conduct a police report. This is an important step to follow even if the accident was a minor fender bender, as this is an essential document for your case.
- Document the accident: Take photos and videos of the scene of the accident, including any hazards that contributed to the accident, and your injuries. If safe, it is helpful to do this before removing the vehicles and debris from the road to capture the true events.
- Swap information: Collect the personal information of the other party, including their name, contact information, driver’s license number, insurance company name, and insurance policy number. Additionally, collect any witnesses’ contact information.
- Seek medical treatment: When medical assistance arrives on the scene, seek treatment as soon as possible. This is necessary to do even if you do not feel hurt, as some injuries like a concussion, whiplash, or internal bleeding are not immediately obvious.
- Talk to an attorney: We recommend that you contact one of the skilled Howard County auto accident attorneys as immediately as possible. Our firm will examine your case and your eligibility for monetary compensation.
What should I avoid doing after enduring a car accident injury?
Above all else, it is critical that you do not leave the scene of the accident until you receive permission to do so from the law enforcement officer. Otherwise, you may be charged for a hit-and-run.
Equally as important, you must receive proper follow-up care. This is regardless of the medical attention you received at the scene of the accident because if your follow-up care is inconsistent or ineffective, your insurance company and the other party’s attorney can dispute the severity of your injury and its correlation to the accident.
Contact Our Howard County, Maryland Firm
If you or a family member has sustained serious injuries in an accident caused by another person’s negligence, contact Lloyd J. Eisenberg & Associates today.